Why gmp is not in the standard library?

Jeremy Yallop jeremy at jdyallop.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Jan 15 18:05:01 EST 2004

Brian Kelley wrote:
> Skip Montanaro wrote:
>> Bdb's license is not GPL:
>>
>>     http://www.sleepycat.com/download/oslicense.html
>
> I stand corrected, it makes perfect sense that the Berkeley DB should be
> released using the Berkeley license :)  I don't know why I thought
> otherwise.

It's not the Berkeley licence, but it's not the GPL either, although
it's similar:

     * are met:
    [...]
     * 3. Redistributions in any form must be accompanied by information on
     *    how to obtain complete source code for the DB software and any
     *    accompanying software that uses the DB software.

Note in particular "and any accompanying software".  Previous versions
of BDB were under the Berkeley licence, which is still included below
the Sleepycat licence.

Jeremy.