Perl vs. Python for text manipulation

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Jan 24 11:51:06 EST 2004

In article <buu6j5$12lf$1 at nadya.doma>, Serge Orlov <sombDELETE at pobox.ru> wrote:
>"Ganesan R" <rganesan at myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:ou4qulnwy0.fsf at andlx-anamika.cisco.com...
>>
>> fileinput is not optimized yet, at least I don't remember any mails
>> about fileinput in python-devel since python 2.3 was released.  I
>> know that it is slow. for line in file: does seem to be optimized
>> though. The last time I ran the tests python was definitely twice as
>> slow (which was before python 2.3 was officially released); now it
>> appears to be only about 40% slower. I need to revisit these crude
>> benchmarks.
>
>Since this problem is not IO bound but rather python internals bound,
>it makes sense to try psyco.

Pysco won't help and might actually make things worse.  At this point,
Perl's speed advantage should come from two and only two sources: Perl
optimizes the snot out of platform I/O (so these speed tests don't apply
to a platform Perl hasn't been ported to), and Perl does not use the
thread-safe forms of I/O.  Python does a fair amount of internal caching
to make up for that, and the file object is already written in C.

"The joy of coding Python should be in seeing short, concise, readable
classes that express a lot of action in a small amount of clear code --
not in reams of trivial code that bores the reader to death."  --GvR