Launching pdb from within a script

Graham Nicholls graham at rockcons.co.uk
Sun Jan 4 16:25:33 EST 2004

Peter Otten wrote:

> Graham Nicholls wrote:
>
>> I'm sure I was able to print the value of variables like this:
>>
>>  except :
>>         pdb.set_trace()
> [...]
>> But pdb complains that there are no such variables.  It may be that I had
>> to add some incantation around the script startup - I just can't remember
>> (and its frustrating!).
>
> <debugger.py>
> import pdb
> abc = 1
> try:
>     print "before"
>     1/0
> except:
>     pdb.set_trace()
> print "after"
> </debugger.py>
>
> Now run it:
>
> before
> --Return--
>> /(suppressed)/python2.3/pdb.py(992)set_trace()->None
> -> Pdb().set_trace()
> (Pdb) abc
> *** NameError: name 'abc' is not defined
> (Pdb) u
>> /(suppressed)/debugger.py(7)?()
> -> pdb.set_trace()
> (Pdb) abc
> 1
> (Pdb)
>
> If the above sample session doesn't help, you could actually read the pdb
I have had a look, but its rather a case of you don't know what you don't
know, IYSWIM.
> documentation - or do something new and dangerous: search google groups
> for, say, Nicholls and set_trace :-)

What a good idea!
Thanks again

PS 1 minute later and I've found the relevant posting, which indeed mentions
using set_trace().

I have in ordinary google searches of course returned ng postings, but had
never used their group searches, so thnkas on two counts.

> Peter

Regards
Graham
--