Perl vs. Python for text manipulation (was: [OPINION] - does language really matter if they all do the samething?)

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Fri Jan 23 22:02:31 EST 2004

In article <mailman.720.1074906442.12720.python-list at python.org>,
Paul Prescod  <paul at prescod.net> wrote:
>Dietrich Epp wrote:

>I would appreciate an example of something you would do by capturing a
>message that cannot be done in Python.
>
>I rather wonder if you've illustrated the downside of flitting from
>language to langauge. You may think you're using a language to capacity
>without actually doing so. I could be wrong but perhaps even the tasks
>you turn to Lisp or Perl for may have easy equivalents in Python.
>
>  Paul Prescod

The comparison with Perl in particular interests me.  I
often encounter characterizations of Perl (or Ruby--I
regard them as equivalent in this dimension) as the par-
agon of text manipulation.  It's not, of course, as Icon
conclusively demonstrates, at least for me; but I don't
even see Perl as distinctly superior to Python in text
mangling.  I recognize that Python REs can feel a bit
cumbersome, in comparison to Perl, because they essenti-
ally demand the extra step of explicit compilation.  Is
that all that people mean, though, when they talk about
Perl's superiority for text mangling?  Is there more to
it?
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net