Assignment to slice

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Wed Jan 21 22:00:04 EST 2004

All 'different' language features are 'unusual' until people get used to
them.  While you are currently saying, "I can't believe people don't
think this is strange", the rest of us got over it, and may even be
using the feature to get the job done.

Hell, I think that Perl variables are f-ing weird.  In the dozen
languages I've learned over the years, Perl is the only one where you
have to say hey, you this variable I'm accessing now, it is a scalar,
not a string.  What the hell is that?  On the other hand, Perl users
have gotten used to it, and don't think it is strange.

The real difference is that I'm not hanging out on Perl newsgroups or
mailing lists saying, "Dude, this variable thing is wack" (this actually
has more to do with the fact that I don't much like Perl, and don't use
it, than anything else).  Get used to slices working the way they do, it
is not likely to change anytime soon.

 - Josiah