Problem building on BeOS...

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Jan 2 12:41:13 EST 2004

Zoo Keeper wrote:

> For some reason, the Python preprocessing balks on the "\" line continuation
> character.  Any ideas/thoughts?  Is it just that my version of gcc is not
> supported?

Yes, in combination with the way your source files are structured.

It appears that the line ending convention differs in your source files
from the line endings that gcc expects. E.g. the source files may have
\r\n at the end of a line, whereas your gcc may expect only \n. As
a result, \\\r\n is treated as an escaped \r, which gives a stray \.

I don't know what line ending convention your system uses, or where
you got the sources from, but it appears you need to convert them.

Later versions of gcc support "universal text mode".

Regards,
Martin