PEP 327: Decimal Data Type

Batista, Facundo FBatista at uniFON.com.ar
Fri Jan 30 13:21:11 EST 2004

Stephen Horne wrote:

#- My concern is that many people will use a decimal type just
#- because it
#- is there, without any consideration of whether they actually need it.

Speed considerations are raised. You'll *never* get the performance of using
floats or ints (unless you have a coprocessor that handles this).

#- I don't know what the solution should be, but I do think it needs to
#- be considered.

(In my dreams) I want to "float" to be decimal. Always. No more binary.
Maybe in ten years the machines will be as fast as is needed to make this
posible. Or it'll be implemented in hardware.

Anyway, until then I'm happy having decimal floating point as a module.

.	Facundo