trouble w/ unicode file

Guilherme Salgado salgado at freeshell.org
Sun Jan 25 10:13:48 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 06:54, Serge Orlov wrote:
> "Guilherme Salgado" <salgado at freeshell.org> wrote in message news:mailman.752.1074995324.12720.python-list at python.org...
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I have a python source file encoded in unicode(utf-8) with some
> > iso8859-1 strings. I've encoded this file as utf-8 in the hope that
> > python will understand these strings as unicode (<type 'unicode'>)
> > strings whithout the need to use unicode() or u"" on these strings. But
> > this didn't happen.
>
> You hoped, but you forgot to pray <wink> Why do you think Python
> should behave this way? There is (an experimental?) option -U that

Ok, ok. I'll remember to pray next time. :-)
I need to store unicode strings(declared in files) in ZODB, but i don't
want to use u"" around all my strings (cause most of them are latin-1),
so i think storing the file as unicode will work. Is there a better way
for doing this?

> forces all string literals to be unicode. Obviously if you use this option
> your sources won't be easily distributable to other people

[...]
> > Am I expecting something that really shoudn't happen or we have a bug?
>
> We have a bug here as well. But in your code. The coding must
> be the same as the coding of your source file. bar.py must be:
> #-*- coding: latin-1 -*-
> x = 'ééééáááááííí'
> print x, type(x)

I didn't understand this (even after some pray) :-)
My file is encoded in utf-8, look:
$ file bar.py
bar.py: UTF-8 Unicode text

Why should i declare it as latin1 encoded though?

[]'s
Guilherme Salgado

--
This email has been inspected by Hans Blix, who has reported that no
weapons of mass destruction were used in its construction.