ProtoCiv: porting Freeciv to Python CANNED

G.I.L not at all.com
Tue Jan 13 17:36:41 EST 2004

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> "Brandon J. Van Every" <try_vanevery_at_mycompanyname at yahoo.com>
> wrote in message news:bsd101$c1oj1$1 at ID-207230.news.uni-berlin.de...
>> I am
>>
>> - *TENTATIVELY* -
>>
>> (operative word) undertaking the project of porting the GPL open
>> source game "Freeciv" to Python.  Freeciv is, in essence, an almost
>> straight clone of Sid Meier's Civilization II, albeit with better
>> cross-platform and multiplayer support.  www.freeciv.org
>
> Here's a postmortem.  Short version: I've canned the project.  Many
> of you will say "I told you so," but at least I almost have a VS .NET
> 2003 build to show for it.

Actually, it's you who said "told you so", since most of your stories
revolve around unfinished projects and utter failures.

Brandon, why the fuck on Earth couldn't you spend that exact amount of time
doing what you did BEFORE posting and arguing with the entire newsgroup? It
was an unbelievable waste of time, since you've managed to convice (maybe
still wrongfully) all the people that you are completely clueless.

The single most problematic issue you have is the belief that one can rely
on failures to pave the "right new way"(tm). Wrong. It can also lead to
endless new shitty ones. Listen to a .02$ piece of advice: since your
pioneering ways have been completely fruitless (at least commercially-wise),
why not concentrate on succeeding where other people normally do, and THEN
prove there's another and better way to achieve success?

I see your point in many of the issues you raised. But the only reason I
don't compare myself to you, is that I have a shitload of games to prove my
point. I've never had a major failure, so I never needed to use one to
leverage my projects. All the things I learned from, were simply bad habits,
mostly coding habits. I constantly evolve, in small steps, from one success
to another. That's how it should be. You do the math.