[OPINION] - does language really matter if they all do thesamething?

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Fri Jan 23 20:35:46 EST 2004

Dietrich wrote:
> Python seems to take the middle ground.  It's build from a procedural
> standpoint, in an environment where most things are objects and some
> are functions.

I'd be interested to know why you don't think that functions are objects. I
would argue that they are because they have attributes, methods, and are
bound to variables the same way as other Python objects.

> It's not what I'd choose as an example of an object
> oriented language.  There are no messages, only function calls, so you
> can't capture them.

You certainly can capture them. Could you demonstrate the Objective-C or
Smalltalk syntax for doing so? Maybe it is a lot easier in those languages.

Cheers,
Brian