best book: aint no such thing, and encouragement for old coots

Mark Carter cartermark46 at ukmail.com
Tue Jan 20 09:33:09 EST 2004

> > I suppose that Schemers and Lispers take the attitude that a lack of
> > syntax is an advantage, because you can ultimately program in any
> > paradigm you wish. It's "just" a case of writing code that implements
> > the paradigm.
>
> Uh? The lack of syntax has nothing to do with the lack of paradigm,
> I miss you point, sorry.

What I meant was: programs written in s-exprs makes it possible to
accomodate new paradigms because, ultimately, everything is a list,
which you can parse to accomodate your new paradigm. Programs not
written in s-exprs require extra syntax to be bolted onto the
language.

But I suppose, if you want, to argue that all Turing Complete
languages are equivalent, so they support all the paradigms that the
others support.