Psyco on PowerPC?

Benjamin Han bhan at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Jan 24 14:58:58 EST 2004

Ok here is what I did

1. pulled the latest CVS
2. did a "python setup.py install"
3. ran this testing program:

-- CUT --
#!/usr/bin/env python

import time
import psyco

def f (x):
    p1=p2=ret=0
    for i in xrange(0,x+1):
        if i==1:
            p1=ret=1
        else:
            ret=p2+p1
            p2=p1
            p1=ret

    return ret

startTime=time.time()
print f(100000)
endTime=time.time()
print '* Elapsed time =',endTime-startTime

fastF=psyco.proxy(f)
startTime=time.time()
print fastF(99)
endTime=time.time()
print '* Elapsed time =',endTime-startTime
-- CUT --

The result (on my PowerBook G4):

2597406.... (big number)
* Elapsed time = 2.41602706909
Fatal Python error: psyco: out of memory
Abort trap

I have 1 GB memory. Maybe it's still in the early development stage?

Thanks,

Ben

On Sat, 23 Jan 2004, Roberto Lopez-Gulliver wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> Directly from Armin
>
> http://codespeak.net/pipermail/pypy-dev/2003q3/002219.html
>
> Haven't try it myself though.
>
> Please post here any success/failure you may experience in Mac OSX.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --roberto
>
> Han Benjamin <bhan at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote in message news:<30E0BEC9-4DE7-11D8-B663-000393DB5438 at andrew.cmu.edu>...
> > Is anyone aware of any effort in bringing Psyco onto other platforms,
> > esp. PowerPC (Mac OS X)? I checked the website but it's still stated as
> > X86 only.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ben

---
Benjamin Han (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~benhdj)

Language Technologies Institute, School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University