python-dev Summary for 2003-12-01 through 2003-12-31

Irmen de Jong irmen at -NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 11 14:31:19 EST 2004

First: thanks Brett, for the summary. And get well soon from your pneumonia.

Brett wrote:

> ------------------------
> Compiling 2.4 under .NET
> ------------------------
> Martin v. Löwis has started sandbox work on an MSI installer and moving
> Python 2.4 over to VC 7.

MSI? Why, what is wrong with the old installer?
I'm not too fond of MSI installers, I find them slow and large.
Especially when using lots of files. That may be a problem in the
installer script, but almost all MSI installers I encountered were
extremely slow when installing and deinstalling a program that
consists of a lot of files (and Python does).
(I must note that this is much less so with recent versions
than before, because the help files are no longer in seperate
html files but in a single chm file).

--Irmen