using cgi form via http and extracting results

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Mon Jan 5 20:39:30 EST 2004

bmgx <bmgx_no_sp at mgleesonprop.co.za> wrote:

>I would like to use an already existing online service (currency
>converter) basically consisting of a html form with a few options that
>is submitted and returns the results. I really don't know where to start
>but I have assumed the following steps need to be taken:
>
>1) Make an http connection to the remote script (http://server/script.cgi)
>
>2) Fill out the html form (1x TEXT and 2x SELECT input fields)
>
>3) Submit the form
>
>4) extract the actual returned result. (using regex or something..)

You don't actually need steps 1 and 2 at all.  HTTP transactions are all
completely separate.  The results of a form submission are just a URL.  If
the form has fields "FromCurrency", "ToCurrency", and "Amount", all you
have to do is this:

http://www.currencyservice.com?FromCurrency=dollars&ToCurrency=pounds&Amount=15

You don't have to HAVE the form source in order to submit a request.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.