debugging

Hans Nowak hans at zephyrfalcon.org
Fri Jan 23 14:20:22 EST 2004

Doug Farrell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can someone help me out a little with Python? What do people use to
> debug Python code? I don't understand how to use the built in debugger
> and I haven't had any luck getting ddd to debug my Python programs. I
> end up falling back on inserting print statements in my code to figure
> out what's going on. This works but isn't always the fastest route to
> a solution. So, I'm just wondering what other people do.

"The most effective debugging tool is still careful thought, coupled with
judiciously placed print statements."  -- Brian Kernighan (1978)

The 'print statements' method still works, anno 2004.  Aside from that, I use
unit tests.  I never use a debugger; I find stepping through code, or breaking
execution off halfway, rather clumsy.

Just my $0.02,

--
Hans (hans at zephyrfalcon.org)