viewcvs install error on solaris

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Jan 19 06:07:30 EST 2004

bva <not at existing.ru> writes:

> Hello,
>
> While trying to install viewcvs on a solaris 5.9 machine I get the
> following error message:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "./viewcvs-install", line 35, in ?
>      import compat
>    File "./lib/compat.py", line 20, in ?
>      import urllib
>    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/urllib.py", line 26, in ?
>      import socket
>    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/socket.py", line 41, in ?
>      from _socket import *
> ImportError: No module named _socket
>
> Python is installed on the machine.  Can anybody tell me what I'm
> doing wrong or what I've forgotten?

Your python install lacks the socket module.  On Solaris this usually
means something exciting to do with your SSL install.  Who installed
Python?  Complain at them.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  In many ways, it's a dull language, borrowing solid old concepts
  from many other languages & styles:  boring syntax, unsurprising