any news client in Python?

David Boddie davidb at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Sat Jan 24 14:25:04 EST 2004

pygeek at yahoo.com (Daniel Han) wrote in message news:<2b4c49e0.0401230915.3438810f at posting.google.com>...
> hello everybody.
>
> i've been looking around for a decent newsreader (not rss)
> that's written in Python. Strange, but i found none so far,
> i've been to sf.net, freshmeat.net, and even googled that,
> still nothing interesting.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "decent" so it's difficult to be
confident that you'll like what's available.

To start with, there's the NewsFlash (tknf) newsreader:

    http://www.python.org/ftp/python/contrib-09-Dec-1999/Network/

I wrote my own newsreader for a minority platform, too:

    http://www-solar.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/~davidb/Software/Python/NewsRead/

There are probably others lurking in FTP archives.

I have to admit that my own attempt isn't exactly the best example you
could hope for. My excuse is that I had to create my own widget set at
the same time as writing the application. If I still had to use it, I
would probably rewrite it, or at least refactor it severely.

David