Python for Embedded Devices?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Sat Jan 3 09:39:19 EST 2004

In article <efa6f675.0401021920.3bffced0 at posting.google.com>,
Brandon <brandon6684 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>Java seems to have taken off as the platform and language of choice
>for many embedded devices. Would it be feasible for Python(perhaps
>running on an embedded version of Linux) to act in such a capacity.
>Most of my experience with Python has been with Unix-type scripting
>tasks and using it when it is an applications built in scripting, but
>I know some people try to use to build larger complex applications. Is
>the Python interpreter portable and good enough to be used in resource
>constrained devices like cell phones?

Yes.

And no.  Yes, Python is certainly feasible for current
cellular telephones.  I don't see it poised for explo-
sive growth there, but neither for technical defects
nor because of any lack of good wishes on my part.
'Twould thrill me to write more Python on embedded
projects.

The one point I'd emphasize when thinking about this
is that "embedded devices" covers a wide range, as I
believe you already know.  Some developers commonly
work with hardware that's far, far more constrained
than are cellular telephones; others, who also program
embedded devices, can't be distinguished from vanilla
Linux coders.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net