TCP server as a Windows service using Python?

John Abel johnfabel at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 31 16:57:47 EST 2004

I don't know if this will be of use to you.  Here's a snip of code, that
I used to run a web server as a service.  It uses my custom module based
on SimpleHTTPServer, but you get the idea.

HTH

    def SvcDoRun( self ):
        threadEvent = threading.Event()
        threadEvent.set()
        webUI = httpWebService( threadEvent )
        webUI.start()

        win32event.WaitForSingleObject( self.hWaitStop,
win32event.INFINITE )

        threadEvent.clear()
        webUI.join()

class httpWebService( threading.Thread ):

    def __init__( self, eventNotifyObj ):
        threading.Thread.__init__( self )
        self.notifyEvent = eventNotifyObj

    def run ( self ):
        serverPort = 10080
        SimpleHTTPServer2.SimpleHTTPRequestHandler.documentRoot =
"F:\Temp\HTTPR
oot"
        httpServer = SimpleHTTPServer2.HTTPServer( ('', serverPort),
SimpleHTTPS
erver2.SimpleHTTPRequestHandler )
        httpServerWait = httpServer.fileno()
        while self.notifyEvent.isSet():
            httpReady = select.select( [httpServerWait], [], [], 1)
            if httpServerWait in httpReady[0]:
                httpServer.handle_request()