[Python-Dev] PEP 324: popen5 - New POSIX process module

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Jan 5 09:59:01 EST 2004

    Michael> And I vote +1 on changing the name from "popen5" to something
    Michael> else.  "process" (as suggested in the PEP) isn't too bad, but
    Michael> I'd certainly be open to another name.  If this is to replace
    Michael> the entire rest of the popenX family for most normal purposes,
    Michael> a separate, more comprehensible name will help newbies find it.

+2.  It would be one thing to have a module named "popen".  A casual user
can easily pop open the docs and see that it stands for "process open".
Determining the difference between popen and popenN (for N in range(1,6)) is
a bit more challenging.  I think it's time to abstract the names (at least)
frome their C heritage.

Skip