Why gmp is not in the standard library?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jan 16 15:46:52 EST 2004

> > That being said, wasn't there some issue with making the Python
> > License GPL compatible for issues like these?

> "GPL-compatible" is very different from "GPL", of course.

I 'believe' that GPL-compatible means that someone can mix (compile) Python
with GPL code and release the mixture -- as a GPL bundle, which the PSF
does not want to do with Python itself but which repackagers are free to
do.  It does not mean that PSF can put GPL code into the core and still
release Python with *its* non-GPL license.

tjr