Idle won't start

Rob Hawkins pendrax at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 21 18:37:19 EST 2004

John Matthews wrote:

>I have similar problems at my office machine (Win2K Pro) and my home
>machine (WinXP). I do not, nor have ever had Ruby installed. The problem
>seems intermittent. I gave up and went back to Python 2.2. I hated to go
>back because the 2.3 version of IDLE was nice, but I beleive that it is
>somehow broken and will need to be fixed for me to use it again.
>
>John

I'm a brand-new Python user, and spent several hours with a somewhat
similar problem. I'm running Python 2.3 on Windows XP Home (SP1). When I
first installed from the Windows binary, IDLE would not run from the
shortcut that was created by the installer. Double-clicking created a
new process in Task Manager, but no window ever opened. When logging
off  I'd get a message saying that an application was refusing to shut
down. Unfortunately, I can't recall the exact message--something about a
menu I think.

I found that the shortcut for IDLE  was set up to start the Python EXE
with idle.pyw as an argument (along with the full path). I changed the
shortcut to simply point directly to idle.pyw and IDLE started working.
Now I'm back to reading the Python tutorial and doing "2+2" in IDLE!

Probably not the same problem, but perhaps it might help.

Rob