Allowing non-ASCII identifiers

Neil Hodgson nhodgson at bigpond.net.au
Thu Feb 12 15:54:17 EST 2004

Brian Quinlan:

> I think that Python should borrow the C# identifier syntax verbatim. That
> way we can have code that looks like this:
>
> class @class:
>     def @def(@def):
>         pass
>
> cl\u0061ss.d\u0065f(true)

   While ugly, the ability to access identifiers defined with other
languages which are keywords in Python is useful. Unicode identifiers will
also interoperation with other languages in environments which allow Unicode
identifiers such as .NET, Java and COM. If Unicode identifiers are not
possible in Python then there is a need for an mechanism to associate a
valid Python identifier with the real Unicode name.

   Neil