efficient way for building class browsers.

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at nospam.uci.edu
Sun Feb 8 14:26:39 EST 2004

>>You can write a limited parser (subject to certain flaws), one that
>>doesn't use tokenize or compiler.ast, and get pretty fast results.  I
>>wrote one to go into my own editor PyPE (pype.sourceforge.net), and it
>>has no problems parsing a 100k Python source file and displaying the
>>source tree in a GUI in less than 1/2 second on a celeron 400.
>
> Thats slow i have a parser that parses 100k in less then 15 ms on a
> 1,2 GHz system. It will be part of "http://www.python-ide.com"
> It is a 100% GNU Eiffel solution which generates plain C code.

I never said it was the fastest, I said it was "pretty fast", and
provided results that it was faster than the pyclbr and compiler.ast
modules.

It is also written in Python, which seems to be more of what Sridhar was
looking for.  Furthermore, the source for the fast parser is freely
available.  Considering that Arachno Python IDE is a commercial effort,
the liklihood of the parser being available in source or loadable module
format seems fairly unlikely.

> I think the 1/2 second could also be done with some intelligent
> regexpr's. There is something like this in the IDLE code.

Checking the IDLE source for version 1.0 (I would check CVS, but CVS
seems to be having issues at sourceforge), it uses pyclbr.

  - Josiah