software design question

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at nospam.uci.edu
Tue Feb 10 17:29:56 EST 2004

>>No !
>>My modules are normally between 1000-3000 lines. Having to much files
>>(worst case scenario is PHP) is just another form of spaghetti code.
>>With so small files you should focus on the task that needs to be done
>>and only if you really do two different things in one module you
>>should decide to split it. Maybe a merge would help you more then
>>splitting.
>

> What IDE /Editor do you use? I currently use Emacs and I find it very hard
> to skip back and forth between methods and functions in larger files.

I would imagine he uses his own editor: http://www.python-ide.com

I also don't have any issues editing 1-3k line files using my own
editor: http://pype.sourceforge.net (PyPE itself is ~3900 lines).

I believe the major difference, at least in terms of scalability, has to
do with the existance of a browsable source tree (aka a class browser).
  It has helped me significantly.

  - Josiah