Hi All, have a question

Chris Herborth chrish at cryptocard.com
Thu Feb 12 08:27:56 EST 2004

Peter Hansen wrote:
> "Batista, Facundo" wrote:
>
>>If you type "python" in the command line, it opens the interpreter?
>>
>>If yes, you can put "#!/usr/bin/env python" in the first line of the script.
>>
>>And remember, in either case, the second line *must* be blank.
>
> Why is that?  I've never heard this advice before, and it doesn't seem
> to be necessary, as a test I just did suggests.  (RedHat 8.0, Py 2.2.1)

I've never done that either, on a wide variety of systems (BeOS, QNX 4, QNX
6, Linux, cygwin, Mac OS X)... my scripts always start like this:

#!/usr/bin/env python
#
# Comments describing the script...

Chris Herborth                                     chrish at cryptocard.com
Documentation Overlord, CRYPTOCard Corp.      http://www.cryptocard.com/
Never send a monster to do the work of an evil scientist.