Generating a large random string

Chris feb04.20.netman at spamgourmet.com
Fri Feb 20 13:38:19 EST 2004

I suppose this would be cheating?

>>> import random, sys
>>> class ReallyRandomString:
    "Hey Rocky, watch me pull a random string out of my hat!"
    def __init__(self, item):
        self.__item = item

    def __getitem__(self, key):
        if type(key) is int:
            return random.choice(self.__item)
        elif type(key) is slice:
            return ''.join([random.choice(self.__item)
                            for i in xrange(*key.indices(sys.maxint))])
        else:
            raise TypeError('Time to get a new hat!')

>>> ReallyRandomString('spam')[1000:1060]
'mapsmpspapaaamppmapammaasapmaspmspmpppmpmamsmpsaspamaamssspm'

Chris

news:v99gg1-g7g.ln1 at home.rogerbinns.com...