YAML config file parser

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Fri Feb 13 09:39:18 EST 2004

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:53:23 +0100,
	Peter Maas <fpetermaas at netscape.net> wrote:
> A configuration file should contain a set of mutually independent
> variables describing the state of the installed application. This
> is not messy. I see mixing of state and logic as a conceptual
> disadvantage. It makes life easy for the programmer but not for
> the users who sometimes happen to be non-programmers.

Non-programmers don't edit configuration files, though; they use a GUI that
presents a nice interface, and never see whatever format the settings are
stored in.  For example, Apple's property lists provide more or less the
same basic set of data types as your suggested YAML subset; see the
following:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/CoreFoundation/Conceptual/CFPropertyLists/index.html

Apple's property lists are stored as XML, but this isn't apparent to users.

--amk