Python as replacement for PHP?

Wilk wilkSPAM at OUTflibuste.net
Sat Feb 28 08:31:17 EST 2004

Bart Nessux <bart_nessux at hotmail.com> writes:

> Dave Brueck wrote:
>
>> Bart wrote:

>> us,
>> losing

>> it,
>>>
>>> When it comes to dynamic, DB driven sites, PHP is the only way to go.
>>> Python is not even close to being suited for this task. PHP claims to be
>>> a general-purpose language, but I do not know anyone who uses it for
>>> anything other than dynamic Web programming.

It's where php lacks for business decision.

When the application will grow up it will be time to have a clean
design, a standalone server and handle differents protocols. For this
python will be a good choice (look at zope, twistedmatrix, webware,
quixote...).

It's why i had to rewrite a lot of website from php to python. Now, with
delicious template like cheetah, i begin imediatly in python even if
it's overkill for little websites.

Even futur version of php tends to java. With python we have
already all the features of java.

>>> A serious business decision? PHP would be the only winner here. You
>>> should not even be considering another language for this, it borders on
>>> stupidity.
>>
>> What on earth?! Each is entitled to his or her own opinion, but this is a
>> bit over the top. The OP would do well to search the Google archives as
>> this topic has come up many times, and there are many who disagree with
>> the above opinion. Even if in the end the OP decided to stick with PHP
>> (personally I wouldn't), considering Python definitely does _not_ border
>> on stupidity.
>>
>> -Dave
>
> Sorry, I disagree. As a business decision, it does border on stupidity. Why
> contemplate doing something with Python that would be tedious and difficult
> at best when PHP can do this task easily and quickly??? From a business
> (read practical point of view) it's stupid. From a religious (Mac fanatic
> like point of view), it makes sense.
>
> The OP spoke of a DB driven dynamic Web site. One cannot think of such a
> thing without naturally thinking of PHP... python should not even come to
> mind for this task. Backend/server-side processing, sure, but not on the
> frontend. Use the RIGHT tool for the job. Python isn't the right tool here.

lol !

--
Wilk - http://flibuste.net