PEP-0315--Enhanced While Loop: An idea for an alternative syntax

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at nospam.uci.edu
Thu Feb 19 01:35:35 EST 2004

> Huh?  It's an expression, the value is explicit.

Perhaps no one has noticed that C's allowing of assignments in while/for
/if statements has caused more than one bug.  Hell, there was a
much-publicised hole in the Linux kernel that was caused by this not 6
months ago.

Sure, there is a difference between '==' becoming '=', and '==' becoming
':=', but the difference is 1 inch and a shift key on my keyboard.  I've
made larger errors when typing than just an inch and a shift-key.  I
believe it would cause more bugs, reduce readability, and attempts to
fix a problem that doesn't really exist.

  - Josiah