Stackless Python

srijit at yahoo.com srijit at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 19 02:36:30 EST 2004

Hello Chris,
Please refer an old message below. I unzipped python23.dll.zip and
kept  python23.dll in a local folder. I started Python from a dos box
(Win XP machine) in the same local folder. I typed help(stackless) and
got an error message, as shown below.

D:\Python23\myfiles>python
Python 2.3.3 (#51, Dec 18 2003, 20:22:39) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)]
on win32
>>> help(stackless)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
NameError: name 'stackless' is not defined

So I am still confused. How do I correctly install stackless Python
2.3?

Thanks.

Regards,
Srijit

srijit at yahoo.com wrote:
> I am interested to try Stackless Python. I have downloaded python22.dll.zip.
> How do I install this zip file? I already have standard python 2.2.2 installed.

You either install python22.dll in a local folder. When you start
Python from there, it will be stackless.
If you want to install it permanently, rename the dll in
windows/system32 and copy the new dll there.

In the version you have, there is a stacklessmodule.pyd which
should be in the local folder or be copied into /python22/DLLs.
This is temporary, the new version which I'm about to upload
tomorrow does not have that external file, since it is all moced into
the core dll, for simplicity.

> I also do not see any documentation like tutorials,
> example programs, demos etc.

There are a few test programs, if you download the CVS tree.
There is no public release, yet, this is still pre-alpha
stuff.
You can get all internal documentation by
 >>> help(stackless)
> Is it 100% compatible with standrad Python 2.2.2?

Yes, it should be. If not, let me know.

ciao - chris