OT: why do web BBS's and blogs get so slow?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Feb 1 03:05:38 EST 2004

In article <7xbrojk9rk.fsf_-_ at ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
Paul Rubin  <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

>Lots of times, when a blog (that supports user comments) or a web BBS
>gets heavily loaded, it slows down horribly, even when it's hosted at
>an ISP on a fast computer with plenty of net bandwidth.  I'm wondering
>what those programs are doing, that makes them bog down so badly.
>Anyone know what the main bottlenecks are?  I'm just imagining them
>doing a bunch of really dumb things.

Much as I'm loathe to mention it, you might might also want to take a
look at LiveJournal to see how they do it.

"The joy of coding Python should be in seeing short, concise, readable
classes that express a lot of action in a small amount of clear code --
not in reams of trivial code that bores the reader to death."  --GvR