wxWindows changes name

Ken Godee ken at perfect-image.com
Tue Feb 24 15:16:47 EST 2004

Piet van Oostrum wrote:

> TR> Ben Finney <bignose-hates-spam at and-benfinney-does-too.id.au> wrote:
>
>>>Just when we thought things were looking up on the whole "Windows as a
>>>trademark" for something that Microsoft didn't originate in the first
>>>place.
>>>
>>>The wxWindows project have announced that they are changing their name
>>>to wxWidgets, specifically to avoid problems with the Microsoft product
>>>name.
>

> TR> That's enough to make a guy angry.  Not at Julian or Robin, but at the
> TR> bozos at Microsoft who have the unmitigated gall to suggest that ANY use of
> TR> the word "windows" could possibly have any impact on their galactic empire.
>
> TR> Did you hear about the teenager named Mike Rowe, who decided to call his
> TR> little company "Mike Rowe Soft"?  When he registered his domain, the
> TR> Redmond lawyers came a-knocking, demanding money.  Fortunately, the bad
> TR> press caused them to change their mind in this case.
>
> So what will happen to the X Window system, often referred to as XWindows.
> And what about the comp.windows.x newsgroup hierarchy?

Couple points,

1. The X window systems name is not "X Windows", it is simply
'X' or 'X11' . Just alot of people wrongly call it Xwindows.

2. I'm not defending MS in anyway, but if one doesn't
defend it's trade mark it will become non defendable
and you must defend it against all, not pick and choose.
Hell, look at what Harley Davidson's done in tha last
couple of years. Trademarked/patented everything including
the sound of thier scooters and they're defending it rigorously.
Just try to open a motorcycle shop called something like "Hog Heaven" or
anything with the name "Hog" in it and see how long before
you get a letter, before the grand opening I'd bet.