Python as replacement for PHP?

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Sat Feb 28 08:03:32 EST 2004

Bart Nessux wrote:
> Erik Johnson wrote:
>
>> This is somewhat a NEWBIE question...
>>
>>     My company maintains a small RDBS driven website. We currently
>> generate
>> HTML using PHP.  I've hacked a bit in Python, and generally think it is a
>> rather cool language. I've done Perl and like it, there are a few
>> features
>> of PHP I like but overall am not too excited about it.
(snip)

>> To those that have used PHP: what am I potentially
>> losing
>> that Python really can't replace?
>>
>>     So, I'm hoping there are some people out there that actually have
>> some
>> expereience with both Python & PHP and can give me some solid, informed
>> advice about PHP vs. Python, in general and particularly on the following
>> points:

(snip)

> When it comes to dynamic, DB driven sites, PHP is the only way to go.
> Python is not even close to being suited for this task.

(snip)

> A serious business decision? PHP would be the only winner here. You
> should not even be considering another language for this, it borders on
> stupidity.

(snip)

Bart, could you please back your (strong) assertions with at least one
argument ?

AFAIK, there is a whole lot of python tools for web developpement, and I
don't really see any evidence that one of the two languages is more or
less suited to this kind of task.

The only points I see in favor of PHP are :
- it's a de facto standard, widely used, widely available, and well
established
- there may be some specific libs not (currently) available in Python.

Bruno