Python component model

Chuck Spears Chuck at spears.com
Thu Feb 26 10:43:17 EST 2004

Does python have a component model?

I'm currently using delphi and C++ builder to build windows apps and I
am looking to also support linux.  They seem to be waffling on their
linux support so I am looking for alternatives.

The thing that makes delphi powerful is being able to link visual
components to do things like datasets (Infopower), web pages
(Intraweb), report writing, etc.  I can build client/server apps in
delphi in days.  There are also powerful components for multi-tier
apps like kbmmw and RemoteObjects.

I've written a few small applications in python/Qt and see great
potential in the language but frankly without a solid IDE and good
component framework, I doubt I would use it for large corporate
applications.  I'm no VB hack, I have 13 years of c and c++ experience
but why would I waste my time hand coding database/multitier
applications in C++ when such powerful tools exist to do the plumbing
for me?

I've used pyQT but that isn't exactly what I had in mind.  I want more
than a forms designer and a python layer on top of a GUI library.  I
want full blown component model written in python (C++ underneath is
fine) where I can extend the built in components or write my own.

I love what i've seen of python so far.  I also realise the component
model can be developed independent of the core python system.  I was
just wondering if anything like that is being worked on.

Thanks,
Mike