Embeded Linux and Python

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Feb 13 13:42:48 EST 2004

Jens Thiede wrote:

> I want to use python heavily on my embeded linux. What would the best
> way be to slim down Python. Only keep those modules you would
> acctually need, and not imparing Python's capabilities?
>
> Previous experiance would be greatly appreciated,

What kinds of constraints do you have as to memory or storage space?

We had Python running once on a 1MB RAM/1MB Flash machine, but eventually
the difficulties involved pushed us to a larger processor which had 32MB
RAM and 64MB Compact Flash (which is several times more than we actually
need by the way).  Both of these were embedded systems.

Generally I believe the cost of maintaining a specialized version of
Python such as what we first had would be larger than the cost of just
buying better/larger hardware.  Our volumes are very low, however, so
perhaps you would weight things differently.

-Peter