py2exe problem - need wsvc6?

Tim Axtelle tim at axtelle.com
Thu Feb 19 21:03:29 EST 2004

I am new to Python and am trying to create a standalone exe from a
python script using py2exe 0.5.0 and Python 2.3 without success.  I am
able to generate the appropriate .exe file but it is not executable.
Running it does absolutely nothing.

The sourceforge site says that wsvc6 is required for py2exe.  Is this
true?  If so, it is contradiction with the python faq which claims
that no C compiler is necessary with py2exe.

I also tried Gordon Mcmillan's installer which I found completely
incomprehensible despite the prodigous "easy to use" claims.

Please help this obviously flustered newbie.  Thanks in advance.