COM Help

Dale Strickland-Clak dale at riverhall.NOSPAM.co.uk
Fri Feb 20 08:03:58 EST 2004

Lindstrom Greg - glinds pushed the bounds of literature with:

> I have been working with the Windows MAPI material trying to
> understand what is going on.  There appears to be a lot of code out
> there showing how things work (kind of)  but very little documentation
> on *why* things happen.  After some searching and reading on google
> (google *is* my friend) I have run makepy and generated the files for
> Outlook.  My question is can I use the com browser to tell me what is
> happening when I  issue:
>
> outlook = Dispatch("Outlook.Application.9")
>
> and why do I have the ".9" on the end of the app string?  Then what is
> this?
>
> namespace = self.outlook.GetNamespace("MAPI")

The .9 is the version of the object model. "Outlook.Application" is
adequate unless you particularly want an older version. By default, you
get the latest, I think.

I can't pretend to understand the intricacies of MAPI but manage to get
by with the MS documentation - of which there is an abundance. Try
looking on msdn.microsoft.com.

If you want a copy of a little Python program I have which calls Outlook
to get contact details, let me know.

--
Dale Strickland-Clark
Riverhall Systems Ltd, www.riverhall.co.uk