Unit-testing single function with large number of different inputs

Robert Ferrell ferrell at diablotech.com
Tue Feb 17 18:06:58 EST 2004

I'm not a unit-testing expert, and I don't necessarily recommend what
I'm about to suggest, but...

To solve the problem of having a single "test" actually run many
"internal" tests, report on the results of those many tests, and fail
(in the PyUnit sense) if any of those internal tests fail, you could
add a flag, AllTestsPassed, to the TestLoad and TestValidate classes.
Initialize that flag to True.  Then, in your version of assertEqual,
if any test fails set the flag to False.  Finally, after you've run
all your tests, add

  self.failUnless(self.AllTestsPassed, 'Some tests failed.')

HTH,

-robert