the best book for learning python !?

Cameron McCloud cameron.mccloud at online.ie
Tue Feb 17 03:42:49 EST 2004

Hi,

I got the second edition of "Learning Python" a couple of weeks ago
and found it very disappointing. I had been expecting something along
the lines of "Learning Perl", which is an excellent book for newbies.

My main gripe with "Learning Python" is that it is too long and
detailed. As a newbie, you don't want that detail initially. For
example, the "Hello, world" program doesn't appear until page 142!

Having said that, the book is really good if you already know a bit of
Python. The explanation of some of the language features is really
revealing and I did learn a lot from it.

For a newbie, I'd recommend "Practical Python".

Cameron.