Identity dictionnary

Jean-Sebastien Roy js at jeannot.org
Sat Feb 28 21:49:54 EST 2004

In article <2004022821314075249%bob at redivicom>,
 Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote:

> > Is defining __hash__ as id(self) sufficient to guarantee that __eq__
> > will never be called by the dict implementation ? (it seems to work in
> > practice)
> > If not, how to ensure __eq__ will never be called ?
>
> I don't believe your assumption about dict is correct.  A typical dict
> is not going to have 2**32 slots in it, so you will eventually get a
> collision, which will call __eq__ unless the key you're getting happens
> to be the first item in that slot (it think uses object identity first
> as an optimization and for sanity, though I have not looked at the
> source).

A few years ago, Tim Peters said that == what not called unless __hash__
are equals (whatever small the number of slots is (quite strange indeed,
but why not ?)).

But that may not be true anymore (that's why I asked).

> What you might want is a special kind of container, not a special kind
> of object to use as keys to a dict:
>
> class identitymap(object):
>     def __init__(self):
>         self._dict = {}
>
>     def __getitem__(self, item):
>         return self._dict[id(item)][1]
>
>     def __setitem__(self, item, value):
>         self._dict[id(item)] = (item, value)
>
> ... etc.
>
> I have used a data structure such as this before for similar reasons
> (an attempt at pure python transparent object persistence..).

I initialy ruled out reimplementing a special dictionnary because I'm a
bit worried about the performance, but that's a nice solution : thanks !
I'll probably go with it.

Regards,

js