Python/Parrot still alive?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Feb 10 06:10:05 EST 2004

tweedgeezer at hotmail.com (Jeremy Fincher) writes:

> llothar at web.de (Lothar Scholz) wrote in message news:<6ee58e07.0402091917.13fdaa8e at posting.google.com>...
> > Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message news:<4027ECDE.AB5BE4B6 at engcorp.com>...

> > > Does Ruby have a "byte code" such as Python and Java have?
> >
> > No. It keeps the parse tree in memory and traverse it during
> > evaluation. Same as all lisp interpreters(?!?!).
>
> Definitely not the same as Lisp.  In actuality, a Common Lisp
> implementation that compiles to bytecode rather than native code is
> uncommon; the majority of quality (i.e., complete) implementations
> compile to native code.

Well, yeah, but I think what happens to stuff you type into the repl
of e.g. CMUCL could be described as traversing the parse tree.  CMUCL
has a bytecode compiler and a native compiler *as well*, but I think
you have to ask for them.  SBCL (and some others: Corman, MCL)
compiles absolutely everything to native code, I think.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  If i don't understand lisp, it would be wise to not bray about
  how lisp is stupid or otherwise criticize, because my stupidity