[ANN] Atox 0.2 released

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at furu.idi.ntnu.no
Sun Feb 15 16:58:54 EST 2004

In article <2c60f0e0.0402141444.3d0b785f at posting.google.com>, Richard
James wrote:
[snip trolling about Anygui]

>But I have digressed from the XML topic.
>
>Before I invest in another MLH (or anybody's "NEW") Python programming
>paradigm I have the following questions:
>
>1: Is yet another XML method really better than just using Python's
>"industry standard" XML methods? Am I wasting my time going down a
>dead end?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Atox is a tool for
automatically *adding* XML to plain text, not for parsing it. There is
no "industry standard" for this, except hard-coded formats such as
reStructuredText (which is probably a much better choice at the
moment, if that format fits your needs).

>2: Is this code going to be FULLY supported in the future?

No. So don't come trolling to me about this in the future :)

This is a project I started because *I* needed/wanted it. This is a
hobby-based open source project. To quote the software, "the software
is provided 'as is', without warranty of any kind".

On the other hand: Version 0.2 works quite well. I suspect there will
be quite a few more versions, which should (hopefully) work even
better.

>Like the problems with Python 2.2 BSD DB vs Python 2.3 BSD DB
>changes.
>
>3: Does this code violate ANY potential Microsoft XML software
>patents in the news this last week?

I have no idea, but I sincerely doubt it. I only use the Python
standard library XML modules (sax and minidom-stuff).

[snip]
>(P.S. They still make fun of me about "my" NOGUI um... ANYGUI faux
>pax.)

OK, if it makes you feel better: I practically devoted an entire
chapter of my book to Anygui :)

Seriously: Anygui 0.1.1 works. Anygui 0.2 (in CVS) almost works. If we
*do* get 0.2 out (multi-platform testing seems to be the main hurdle,
that is, the need to have several people working on it) then keeping
it up-to-date and supported should be much easier. Probably.

--
Magnus Lie Hetland           "The mind is not a vessel to be filled,
http://hetland.org            but a fire to be lighted."  [Plutarch]