FTP with urllib2 behind a proxy

Bob McCormick bobmcc at rocketsoftware.com
Tue Feb 24 20:53:35 EST 2004

Hello,
         I came across this email thread, and I can't seem to get the
examples to work.
         I am running Proxy+ proxy server.  It sets up HTTP proxy on port
4480, cnad FTP proxy on 4421.
         I'm not sure how to add the IP addr & host of the proxy server to
the authorization.  Is it something like:
         proxyauth = "http://anonymous@me:137.134.5.20:4421"
         proxy_handler = urllib2.ProxyHandler( { 'http' : proxyauth, 'ftp'
: proxyauth})

When I try this, and then try
urllib2.urlopen("ftp://ftp.mathcs.emory.edu/pub/misc/emacs")
I get

urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error (1, 'address family not supported')>

Does this mean that I don't have an FTP handler defined?

As far as I know, I don't need any special authorizaiton to access my proxy
server, just the IP and host.

Also, the python doc mentioned in the FTPHandler that it uses blank for
user and password.  Is this really correct?  Will this work?  Most sites
want "anonymous" and an email addr.

         Thanks for any help or pointers that you can provide.

--
Bob McCormick                 email:
Bob.McCormick at rocketsoftware.com
Rocket Software Inc.,         OSS Business Unit
(formerly TCSI Corp.)         voice: +1 510-749-8720
1080 Marina Village Parkway   fax: +1 510-749-8700
Alameda, CA 94501-1046 USA    www: http://www.rocketsoftware.com