Library for handling GNU parameters

David Goodger goodger at python.org
Mon Feb 23 21:37:08 EST 2004

François Pinard wrote:
 > I think I read that `optparse' is not going to handle optional
 > arguments that we find in some commands,

Do you mean "optional option arguments"?  Where an option has an
optional argument?  I believe this idea was discussed on the
optik-users list, but it was determined that such a thing is not
reliably parseable.

 > and which GNU `getopt' (and also the old
 > standard `getopt', if I remember well) do handle.

getopt.py does *not* handle "optional option arguments" either.

If you meant optional positional arguments, optparse and getopt both
support them (by leaving the logic up to the client program).

-- David Goodger