Unix domain sockets / IPC - how to get remote process/user id?

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Mon Feb 9 20:22:30 EST 2004

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 03:39:34PM -0800, Fossie wrote:
> So, for my question: What are my options? I cannot believe I am the
> first with this problem. Preferable, only standard python packages
> should be used.

My Linux manpage for unix(7) indicates that SCM_RIGHTS is not portable.
(I am not 100% sure this is what you're talking about, because it's
nothing I've ever done before) In any case, I looked but didn't find an
implementation of the needed sendmsg(2) .. I found only this:
	https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=355470&aid=814689&group_id=5470
Wrapping sendmsg with pyrex, ctypes, or even with a new C module might
be a good first project in extending Python.  If you do your work in
the form of a patch to Python, I suspect it would easily gain approval.
Once you'd tested your patch and added tests for it, you'd submit the
patch to the bug I mentioned above or as a new item in the Patch area.

best of luck,
Jeff