assignment statements: lists vs. strings

Karl Pflästerer sigurd at 12move.de
Mon Feb 2 13:41:13 EST 2004

On  2 Feb 2004, Klaus Neuner <- klaus_neuner82 at yahoo.de wrote:

> I would like to understand the reason for the following difference
> between dealing with lists and dealing with strings: What is this
> difference good for? How it is accounted for in Python slang?

Strings are immutable and lists are mutable objects.

Here you create a new string string1 which is fresh allocated.
> 'blabla'
> 'bla'

If you did `id(string1)' and `id(string2)' before and after the
assignment you would have that after the assignment you had two
different objects.

Here you modify an existing list in place.  But that's not the same as
you did with your string exapmle.  With a string you couldn't do that
since a string is immutable.

If you had written list1 = list1 + [1] you would have had a new list
object.

>>> L1 = [1,2]
>>> L2 = L1
>>> id(L1)
10489068
>>> id(L2)
10489068
>>> L1 = L1 + [1]
>>> id(L1)
10488140
>>> id(L2)
10489068
>>> L2
[1, 2]
>>> L1
[1, 2, 1]

   KP

--
If you have nothing to say on a subject, replying with a line such as,
"I agree with this." puts you in the TO:'s for all future messages, and