wxWindows changes name

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Feb 24 14:10:15 EST 2004

Ben Finney wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
> Just when we thought things were looking up on the whole "Windows as a
> trademark" for something that Microsoft didn't originate in the first
> place.
>
> The wxWindows project have announced that they are changing their name
> to wxWidgets, specifically to avoid problems with the Microsoft product
> name.
>
>     <http://www.wxwindows.org/name.htm>

I haven't read the link (deliberately, for now) but I'd point out that the
some of the "problems" they are avoiding by doing so are the possible confusion
in the minds of potential users as to whether wxWindows is cross-platform
or not.  wxWidgets might be an easier "sell" as a cross-platform GUI framework,
so in that sense it's not a bad idea.

Who really wants "windows" in their product name in this day and age anyway?

It's not like it carries connotations of reliability or good design, is it?

-Peter