Allowing non-ASCII identifiers

AdSR artur_spruce at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 10 05:30:44 EST 2004

"John Roth" <newsgroups at jhrothjr.com> wrote in message news:<102geglh6cprm45 at news.supernews.com>...
> I'm all in favor of going to unicode all the way. I'd like to
> have the proper mathematical symbols for logical and set
> operations, as well as integer divide. They're all there in the
> unicode character set, after all; why should we have to
> settle for archaic character restrictions?

Java allows for Unicode identifiers and I'm yet to see a single source
file that uses anything but ASCII. Actually, so far I have only seen
non-ASCII in Polish Logo many years ago, and that was only for
educational purposes.

As a non-native English speaker, coming from Polish and Portuguese
background, I could argue in favor of non-ASCII identifiers, but I'm
against them. Do we really need those? Even if program output is in
Polish, all my code is "identified" and commented in English, which I
think of as of a good habit. (With exception of HTML, where comments
are closely related to content.)

I don't have any _really_ solid reasons against Unicode identifiers,
except for simplicity. It's just the way I feel about programming.

On a side note, one place where I think non-ASCII really should be
avoided are domain names, something that is being much debated
recently.

AdSR