Perl 6: every concept known to computers is in there

Wayne Folta wfolta at netmail.to
Sat Feb 21 19:51:07 EST 2004

>> Someone here mentioned perl 6, so I decided to look in on it and all I
>> can say is it looks like every concept from every computer course,
>> article, and book is now included.
>
> But this is not a positive thing.

I agree mostly.

> For example i love eiffel because it only has one loop construct.
> You can write a song with 10000 notes but normally it will not sound
> good.

But a song with only one note isn't much to listen to, either. (A song
with two chords, however, is called a heavy metal hit.)

Eiffel may only have one loop construct, but I'm sure you will find
many idioms that people use to create the kinds of loops they need in
practice. Things can be too simple or too complex.

I do think that perl 6 has so much stuff in it that skilled perl
programmers will not be able to understand each other's code because
they can only use subset of the language. Still, it's certainly
fascinating to watch. Even inspiring in some sense, though I'll
continue with python.